Do you know your neighbours? If not, why not get to know them at events happening in your area this weekend and next week? You could be each other’s best source of support in an emergency!
As part of this year’s Neighbours Day 10th anniversary celebrations, which take place over ten days between 22 and 31 March, the Wellington Region Emergency Management Office (WREMO) will be organising several Community Emergency Hub exercises where people can meet their neighbours and practice how their community can respond to an emergency.
Scott Dray, Community Resilience Team Leader for WREMO, explains: “It’s good to know your neighbours and have a contact number for them if you need someone to check on your property or feed your cat if you can’t get home. But in an emergency, the people you live nearest can suddenly become your most immediate source of support. Knowing your neighbours and having a quick conversation about how you could help each other out in an emergency, such as sharing resources like a gas BBQ, is an easy way to be more prepared.
“During Neighbours Day celebrations we will be out and about engaging with communities around the Wellington Region and running events where you can learn how you can be more prepared as a community and meet your neighbours while enjoying a free BBQ. Find out about events near you or book us to come along to your next community group meeting.”
To find out more about Neighbours Day and WREMO’s emergency preparedness events in your area go to www.getprepared.nz/neighbours-day.
NOTES TO EDITORS:
WREMO community events taking place between 22nd – 31st March 2019:
- Naenae Community Emergency Hub Exercise on Saturday, 23 March 2019 from 10am until 12pm at Naenae Primary School, 27 Wheatley St, Naenae, Lower Hutt.
- Newlands Community Emergency Hub Exercise on Sunday, 24 March 2019 from 11am until 1pm at Newlands Primary School, 200 Newlands Road, Newlands.
- Wellington Central Plan & Prepare Session on Wednesday, 27 March 2019 from 6pm until 7pm at the Wellington Emergency Management Office, 2 Turnbull St, Thorndon, Wellington.
- Douglas Park Community Emergency Planning Workshop on Thursday, 28 March 2019 from 5:30pm until 7:30pm at Douglas Park School Hall, 136 Cole St, Masterton
- Lower Hutt Central Community Emergency Hub Exercise on Saturday, 30 March 2019 from 10am until 12pm at Eastern Hutt School, 53 Kings Crescent, Lower Hutt.
- Island Bay Community Emergency Hub Exercise on Saturday, 30 March 2019 from 11am until 1pm at Island Bay Bowling, 279 The Parade, Island Bay.
- Grenada Village Community Emergency Hub Exercise on Sunday, 31 March 2019 from 2pm until 4pm at Grenada Village Community Hall, 4 Mandeville Crescent, Grenada Village.
- Waikanae Plan & Prepare Class and Neighbours Day BBQ on Sunday, 31 March 2019 from 12:30pm until 2pm at Waikanae Baptist Church, Te Moana Rd, Waikanae.
To sign up, please visit www.getprepared.nz/neighbours-day or call 04 830 4279.
About the Wellington Region Emergency Management Office (WREMO)
The Wellington Region Emergency Management Office (WREMO) leads and co-ordinates Civil Defence and Emergency Management services on behalf of the nine councils across the Wellington Region - keeping you and your communities safe and ready to respond and recover from emergencies.
Read more about how to prepare for an emergency at www.getprepared.nz
To find out more about WREMO, visit www.wremo.nz
Michelle de la Bertauche, Senior Marketing and Communications Advisor
Wellington Region Emergency Management Office (WREMO)
T: 021 483 295